Monday, December 22, 2008

Our Sweet Baby Girl


Our Sweet Baby Girl decided she didn’t want to wait ‘til the 30th. On December 17th at 4:45 in the morning my water broke. We quickly got the bags in the car (yep I packed this time) and woke Landon up and headed down to Burley. On the way there, we called Stan’s parents and told them we were on our way down and to meet us at the hospital to get Landon. Then we called my parents. On the way down Landon needed to hold my hand and kept telling us he couldn’t wait to see his sister. We got to the hospital a little after 6:00, I was already dilated to a 3 and having regular contractions by then. At 8:30 my Dr. came in and ordered me on PIT and things got going really fast. The nurse checked me at noon then called and told my Dr. to come now! And he did. I pushed through 2 contractions and at the start of my 3rd he told me to stop. At 12:12 in the afternoon Lashae Irelyn Gillett was born weighing 7 lb. 4 oz. and 19 inches long. I couldn’t believe it! It was way fast and super easy. We called Landon and told him his baby sister was here and to come see her. He had to kiss and hold her and wasn’t happy at all to leave.
The whole day the nurses were watching her closely, she was grunting and not breathing right, but didn’t show any other signs of distress. When they took her at midnight to do her 12 hour check, they really didn’t like the way she was breathing, she also started chocking and spitting up clear fluid. The Dr. woke us up at 1 in the morning and told us there was a problem with our baby girl and that they were in the middle of running tests on her. He suspected Pneumonia and that she might need to be transferred to another hospital for better care. But they would know more after the X-ray of her lungs and the blood work came back. Waiting to hear back felt like forever, he came back with good and bad news. Bad News: He told us that there was a small amount of fluid on her lungs; most likely she took a breath before they had a chance to clean her mouth out. And that she did have a slight case of Pneumonia, and needed to stay a few more days. He also told us she had an IV and needed to be hooked up to monitors and needed to say in the nursery, and that he didn’t want her to eat. Good News: That it was slight and they could keep her there and not transfer her. He told us we could go visit whenever and stay however long we wanted. That morning, we went in to go see her and the nurse that had been taking care of her through the night had called the Dr. told him how well she was doing and asked if she could eat. Lashae had been making hungry noises all night. I was able to feed her; she ended up staying in the nursery for only twelve hours then she came back to my room. After that it was a waiting game we needed to wait for blood cultures to come back. Friday they came back negative, but they wanted Lashae to finish the antibiotics and pass another blood culture the next morning. On Saturday morning everything checked out well, and we were sent home. We have waited a long time and have had quite the journey to get her here. I am so grateful to have her here and even though we had a scary start I’m thankful she’s ok. It didn’t take long for us to find a place in our hearts for her, she just fits right in. Landon loves her and is such a good help, I was worried about what he would do, but worried about nothing really. She is so precious and such a joy to have in our lives!

4 comments:

rneweyfamily said...

She is beautiful and I am glad that you both are happy, healthy, and home.

Sage Hanks said...

YEAH!!! I have been dying to show Brad pictures! Too bad I was a dummy and my camera was dead when we saw you! Thanks for letting me come share a couple hours with your new baby! COngrats! I am so happy for you! Love ya!

The Cook Clan said...

I'm so glad you guys are home and well. What an awesome Christmas present!!! I got all teary eyed reading your post and think back to when Mckenna was born with a similar problem. It is so hard to see your tiny baby hooked up to IV's. I'm glad you are home! Congrats again.

Curtis and Steph said...

Yea! The giraffe made the slide show!!! And Uncle Curtis!!! Lashae is such a doll! We are so happy for you guys!!